Propanol (n-propanol and isopropanol)
What is propanol?
Propanol or propyl alcohol is the two isomeric forms of alcohol such as n-propyl alcohol or 1-propanol and isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol or 2-propanol. The general molecular formula of propanol is written as C3H8O or C3H7OH. Therefore, the propanol molecule contains a carbon chain and a hydroxyl group in its structure. It is an industrially important chemical compound which uses widely as a solvent in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. It is a less toxic alcohol than methanol and ethanol with a high octane number. Therefore, it is used as fuel in engines. But the use of propanol in fuel engines is not enough popular due to its production cost and low energy density.
Structure of propanol
Propanol molecule contains a carbon chain with three carbon atoms and a hydroxyl group. The position of the hydroxyl group in n-propyl alcohol and isopropanol is different.
Structure of n-propyl alcohol
The chemical formula of n-propyl alcohol is written as CH3CH2CH2OH. In n-propanol molecule, the hydroxyl group is joined to the primary carbon atom to form the following structure,
Structure of isopropanol
The chemical formula of n-propyl alcohol is written as (CH3)2CHOH. In isopropanol molecule, the hydroxyl group is joined to the secondary carbon atom to form the following structure,
Uses of propanol
- Propanol is a useful solvent that dissove a wide range of non-polar chemical compounds. It is also used for the production of various solvents such as antifreeze, lacquer, soaps solutions, dye solutions, etc.
- In medicine and healthcare, it is used for the production of disinfectants, rubbing alcohol, and hand sanitizers.
- It is also used in medicine as an anesthetic but due to toxicity, it is not safe for use in such purposes.
- Propanol is used for the production of is used as a chemical intermediate.
- In biological laboratories, it is used for the preservation of biological specimens.
- In chemical laboratories, propanol or isopropanol is used widely to dissove many chemical compounds.
Propanol - Uses, Formula, Structure
Propanol or propyl alcohol uses widely for the production of various organic compounds, intermediates, and solvents in…